Confidence with Spirits
The WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits is a gentle introduction to spirits, spirits service and cocktail making covering the most important spirit styles and brands.
It is aimed at absolute beginners, most candidates will have just taken their first job in the spirits industry. It is ideal for front-of-house staff, bartenders, sommeliers and retail assistants. It is also a great starting point for the novice spirits enthusiast.
Successful candidates will be able to communicate knowledgeably with customers and operate confidently during spirits service.
This course teaches students through sight, smell and taste, to understand more about spirits. By the end of the course students will be be able to taste spirits using a systematic approach, and be able to identify the main styles of spirits.
- An overview of spirits production
- Learning to recognise the characteristics of the most important spirits styles and brands:
- gin, flavoured spirits & liqueurs
- An introduction to the storage and service of spirits, including how to mix a classic cocktail.
The L1 Award in Spirits is offered online, in the classroom or privately or as a hybrid online study programme with optional add-on tasting tutorials.
The course can be completed in 6 hours of study and concludes with a 45 minute, 30 multiple choice question examination.
For more information please see the course specification.
If you’re wondering whether Level 1 is right for you, have a go at the following questions that you might find in a Level 1 examination:
1. Whisky is made from?
2. What is the main botanical used in the production of gin?
3. Which of the following spirits is made from grapes?
If you knew the answers to these questions then maybe Level 2 would be more suitable: